Are you looking for the best motor oil for your vehicle? You might have heard of Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 motor oil. Are you confused regarding what is the best motor oil for your vehicle? Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1 is the debate to watch for.
Fret not; this article will enlighten you about motor oil and its importance. Moreover, you will know everything about Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1 motor oil. The features of the brand and the pros and cons of each will help you decide which motor oil to buy.
So, let’s head into a journey of the motor oil world and Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1.
Motor Oil and Its Importance
Motor oil is essentially a mix of base oil and additives. It gets used to lubricate your vehicle’s engine, clean, protect, and cool the engine. Plus, the basic and best motor oil reduces friction in your engine to avoid overheating along with increasing your mileage.
The latest motor oils are synthetic and offer plenty of advantages when you drive. The complex mix of oils and additives, nowadays perform the following task easily for your vehicle.
- Synthetic motor oils help separate and lubricate movable engine parts
- They considerably reduce your engine’s wear-and-tear
- A good synthetic oil ensures no deposits get formed on the engine’s internal components
- Synthetic motors oil helps to unclog your engine properly
- It removes and suspends dirt, grease, and more in oil until you change the oil
- Motor oil helps cool your engine
- High mileage motor oil can potentially increase the engine fuel efficiency
- The motor oil helps protect your vehicle’s emission system
As mentioned above, motor oil is a mixture of oils and additives. You might wonder what kind of oil and additives, isn’t it?
The motor oil’s bases consist of 70-90 percent natural gas or crude oil-derived oils. Natural gas-based oil consists of fewer impurities compared to crude oil-based motor oil. The rest 10-30 percent of motor oil consists of chemical additives like the following.
- Detergent Additive to clean your engine
- Oil viscosity improvement
- Additives that modify friction
- Antioxidants to slow down oil oxidation
- Anti-foam additive to stop air bubbles and foaming
- Dispersant additive to unclog your engine
- Additives to prevent corrosion
- Additives that aid in Anti-wear of your engine
- Pour-point depressant additives that ease motor oil flow in cold temperatures
Now that you know about motor oil and its importance, without any further ado, let’s dive into Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1. It might help you to know what each is before diving into its comparison.
What Is Pennzoil Platinum?
Pennzoil Platinum is a complete engine protection motor oil developed by America’s most trusted company. Pennzoil motor oils get made from natural gas. Pennzoil is a branch of the Shell company and gets committed to giving your vehicle high-quality and high-performing motor oil.
Pennzoil Platinum is a superior invention of the Pennzoil company, which has been around since 1913. Currently, they are part of Shell since they got acquired in 2002. The motor oil company is headquartered in Houston and is one of the largest motor oil producers using natural gas in their motor oil products.
Let’s explore the features, specs, pros, and cons of Pennzoil Platinum motor oil. It will play a role in understanding Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1.
Features of Pennzoil Platinum Motor Oil
Pennzoil Platinum Motor oil is a fully synthetic motor oil made of natural gas. That means it uses a gas-to-liquid process to convert the natural gas into motor oil’s base oil. Moreover, the use of natural gas in Pennzoil Platinum uses Pennzoil’s Pure Plus Technology.
The benefit of creating Pennzoil Platinum with natural gas as the base oil is that it is pure and crystal-clear. Moreover, this motor oil uses superior additives to enhance your vehicle’s engine performance.
The notable features of Pennzoil Platinum Motor oil are the following
- It protects your engine
- It’s an innovative, high-performing, and high-quality motor oil
- Pennzoil Platinum keeps your pistons cleaner than dictated by ILSAC GF-6 industry standards. It removes sludge more easily as it is packed with active cleaning agents that are superior.
- It gives you extra 550 miles, increasing the mileage of your vehicle. Your engine can increase your fuel efficiency when you use Pennzoil Platinum.
- Pennzoil Platinum effectively protects your vehicle’s engine from wear and tear.
- This synthetic motor oil provides your vehicle with horsepower protection too.
- Furthermore, Pennzoil Platinum has additives that enable it to withstand all weather conditions. It flows well in low temperatures and doesn’t evaporate in high temperatures. Essentially, it can withstand temperatures ranging from -54.5-degrees Fahrenheit to 435.2-degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pennzoil Platinum is compatible with Chrysler MS-13340, Ford WSS-M2C946-B1, Honda/Acura HTO-06, Volvo, Kia, Hyundai, and more vehicles.
- The Pennzoil Platinum motor oil has a license, and it aligns with GM Dexos 1 Gen 2 specifications and thus functions well with a modern engine.
- The Pennzoil Platinum motor oil has a 5w-30 oil viscosity and comes in an opaque plastic bottle.
- Pennzoil Platinum works well with Diesel, Gasoline, Hybrid, and Non-Hybrid engine types.
- It provides excellent protection for your engine to drive through all terrains and driving conditions.
Pros and Cons of Pennzoil Platinum
Now, you are aware of the features and specs of Pennzoil platinum. So, here’s a comprehensive list of pros and cons that will make the Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1 decision easier.
- Mileage increase
- Cleaner engine piston
- Maintains and protects horsepower
- Pure oil made of natural gas
- Synthetic motor oil reducing engine noise
- Harmful to the environment if disposed improperly
- Might create cam chain noise on start-up
What Is Mobil 1?
Mobil 1 is a famous and early synthetic motor oil innovator. They create the best motor oils with crude oil as the base. They are pioneers in synthetic oil and created an affordable process to make motor oil that enhances your vehicle’s engine by multifold.
Mobil 1 has been around since 1974, marketed by ExxonMobil. The company is committed to giving you high-quality, high-performing, and purely synthetic motor oil to upgrade your engine. Mobil 1 designs motor oil that exceeds industry requirements using hydro isomerized, hydrocracked processes.
You know a glimpse of Mobil 1; let’s explore its features, specs, pros, and cons. It will also play a role in determining the winner in the debate of Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1
Features of Mobil 1 Motor Oil
Mobil 1 is an extraordinary and innovative motor oil that uses a purely synthetic oil base. They are NASCAR’s official motor oil known for giving excellent mileage and increasing speed proficiency.
It is an advanced, fully synthetic motor oil and helps protect your engine. Moreover, Mobil 1 is an American Petroleum Institute certified motor oil that you can use confidently in your vehicle. Furthermore, many vehicles use Mobil 1 as a piece of standard equipment to fuel their engines. It enhances the performance of high-performance vehicles too.
Here’s an elucidated list of features and specs of Mobil 1
This list will make your Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1 more comprehensive.
- Mobil 1 is a trademarked motor oil with a 5w-30 oil viscosity.
- It keeps your vehicle’s engine running smooth and keeps it almost anew
- It is a highly synthetic oil that uses crude oil as its base
- Mobil 1 is purely a gasoline engine motor oil. It doesn’t work on diesel engines and aviation engines.
- The superior motor oil can withstand temperatures from -43.6-degrees Fahrenheit to 446- degrees Fahrenheit. That means it will flow smoothly in low temperatures and will not evaporate in high temperatures. Moreover, it offers complete temperature protection for your engine.
- It protects the engine’s internal parts for up to 10,000 miles between oil changes.
- Mobil 1 got formulated to last long. It protects your engine for a longer period.
- Moreover, Mobil 1 motor oil extends your engine’s lifespan. It does this by removing sludge and deposits build-up from your vehicle’s engine.
- It prevents your engine from overheating by protecting it
- Mobil 1 is a certified motor oil that meets the ILSAC GF-6 standards and is a Dexos Gen- 2 approved motor oil.
- The Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil has additives to keep your vehicle’s engine clean. Moreover, it helps improve fuel efficiency by increasing the mileage. Plus, it helps maintain your high mileage vehicles easily.
- Mobil 1 motor oil is compatible with Honda/Acura HTO-06, General Motors 4718M, and Ford WSS-M2C946- A, B1.
- It has excellent oxidation control preventing oil breakdown in extreme driving conditions.
- Furthermore, the Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil comes with a limited warranty and guarantee. It states that your engine gets protected by Mobil 1 for 10,000 miles or 1-year, whichever comes first.
- Mobil 1 also plays a vital role in providing low-speed pre-ignition along with timing chain wear protection.
- It comes in an opaque plastic canister that makes it last longer. Moreover, you get 5 quarts of motor oil in a single canister.
Pros and Cons of Mobil 1
It might help you to know the pros and cons of Mobil 1. You’ll be able to see the Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1 comparison. So, read on to know the pros and cons of Mobil 1.
- Withstands extreme temperatures
- Provides fantastic lubrication for your engine along with reducing friction
- It is a long-lasting solution for protecting your vehicle’s engine
- Keeps your engine clean
- Impurity-free synthetic oil preventing engine wear
- Incompatible with diesel and aviation engines
- If you don’t dispose of it properly, you invite ecological troubles
Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1 Differences
It might be helpful to have a tabulated list elucidating the features, specs, and differences of Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1. You’ll have a better comparison table and make an informed decision regarding using Pennzoil Platinum motor oil or Mobil 1 motor oil. Undoubtedly, both work well for several vehicles and are easy to use.
Here’s the tabulated comparison of Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1
Natural Gas- based synthetic motor oil
Crude oil-based pure synthetic oil
Temperature range -54.4- degrees Fahrenheit to 435.2-degrees Fahrenheit
Temperature range -43.6- degrees Fahrenheit to 446-degrees Fahrenheit
Compatible with Diesel and Gasoline Engine
Compatible with Gasoline Engine
Vehicles- Chrysler MS-13340, Ford WSS-M2C946-B1, Honda/Acura HTO-06, Volvo, Kia, Hyundai.
Vehicles- Honda/Acura HTO-06, General Motors 4718M, and Ford WSS-M2C946- A, B1
Gives an extra 550 miles per year
Protects your engine for 10,000 miles
Removes sludge, deposits, and unclogs your engine
Cleans your engine and provides superior cleaning
Lesser impurities in the base oil due to it being natural gas-derived
Crude oil-based synthetic oil goes through several procedures to remove impurities
The above table gives you the major differences between the two spectacular motor oil. However, there are some notable similarities too.
Similarities in Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1
Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1 becomes difficult to decide due to the striking similarities in each of their function.
- Both the motor oils help enhance your vehicle’s engine
- Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1 cleans your engine thoroughly
- Both remove sludge, deposits and prevents corrosion
- The motor oils improve fuel efficiency and increase mileage
- Both are ILSAC GF-6 certified for engine cleansing
- Further, both are American Petroleum Institute certified synthetic motor oils
- Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 are both innovative and use superior technology to produce the best motor oil
- The motor oils have a 5W-30 oil viscosity
- Moreover, Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1 gives your vehicle a smooth functioning engine that makes less noise
- Furthermore, Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 ensures a long-lasting engine and enable all-terrain driving in different driving conditions
Customer Experiences on Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1
Now that you know the similarities and differences of Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1, you might want to know some customer experiences, isn’t it? It will help you in further affirming your decision as to which motor oil to buy.
Customers who used both Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 said that Pennzoil Platinum kept the engine far cleaner and more efficient. However, they noted that both oils cause some wear on the cams, cylinder walls, and cranks.
Some customers felt that Mobil 1 worked well for their vehicle for the long term. When they switched to Pennzoil Platinum, they found the vehicle sluggish. They found Mobil 1 improving their vehicle’s performance.
Moreover, customers report that both the motor oils, Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1, are affordable and efficient.
While this information might help you choose between Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1, it confuses you, doesn’t it? Don’t worry; keep reading.
How to Choose a Motor Oil for Your Vehicle?
Quelling your confusion in Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1 is important to us. So, it might help you know how to choose the right motor oil for your vehicle.
Follow these tips to choose the right motor oil for your vehicle.
- Firstly, read your vehicle’s owner manual. That will give you key information like the motor oil weight recommended and more.
- Ensure the motor oil you procure is American Petroleum Institute Certified
- Read the labels carefully
- Ensure your motor oil is compatible with your engine. SP symbol stands for gasoline, and CK-4 stands for diesel.
- Examine the viscosity of your motor oil. Both Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 have a 5W- 30 viscosity, which means they are resistant to thinning when temperatures rise. Moreover, it also means that they have a spectacular performance even in winter.
- It will help you to choose a fully synthetic motor oil for your modern vehicle engines. It is because a fully synthetic oil contains several synthetic additives that undergo strenuous testing. So, as long as it is compatible with your vehicle’s engine, use fully synthetic motor oil. However, note that they are expensive.
- Ensure your Motor oil has the right amount and right qualities of additives to enhance your vehicle’s performance
- Check your Motor oil’s grade that determines the additive levels. SN and SP grades are sold today. SP is a superior grade, and you can use it on SN grade vehicles too.
- You want to check how long each motor oil will sustain your vehicle’s engine too. That will help you determine how often you need to refill your motor oil.
So, bear these tips in mind when looking to buy the best motor oil for your vehicle. Plus, it will become easier for you to choose between Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1.
Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1 is an endless debate. Both the motor oils are unique and offer a multitude of benefits for your vehicle’s engine. The motor oils are similar in viscosity and withstand extreme temperatures and driving conditions. However, Pennzoil Platinum comes highly recommended due to it being natural gas derived.
We recommend choosing either of the synthetic motor oil, depending on engine type and vehicle compatibility. If you have a diesel engine, Pennzoil Platinum is the go-to motor oil. However, for a gasoline engine, you can choose either one of the Motor oils.
So, consult your vehicle’s owner manual and your mechanic and choose the best amongst Pennzoil Platinum vs. Mobil 1 motor oil.